Vitiligo, by medical definition, is a condition in which your skin begins to develop white patches or spots due to the loss of melanocytes. These are the cells containing melanin, the pigment that gives color to your skin, hair and eyes. When the melanocytes die, or no longer form melanin, small white patches of irregular shapes and various sizes began to appear on your skin in areas that are devoid of the pigment and spread with time.
The condition affects all races, an estimated one percent of the world population. While it is indeed apparent in people with lighter skin, it is certainly more noticeable in individuals with darker skin and hence can be a source of psychological and social distress. Naturally, patients with the condition seek ways to restore normal appearance and a variety of medical treatment options is available. However, as vitiligo is an autoimmune problem in which the body’s defense cells turn against the melanocytes and kill them, there is no complete cure for vitiligo. The main goal of treatment is to ensure that the progression of pigment loss may be stopped or at least, slowed. This means that the patches will no longer enlarge or spread and for the ones present, attempts can be made to return some color to your skin.
Vitiligo is like cold, cough it can affect anyone in any part of life. The western medicine helps in reduction of symptoms and most of the times it ends up with complications. Home remedies and diet control helps to resolve the condition swiftly and permanently.
Nevertheless, as a number of patients may not be willing to go forth with a medical treatment for various reasons, we have listed some self-care tactics and effective home remedies that may help you care for your skin and significantly improve its appearance.
Vitiligo Home Treatment Tips
1. Take 5 teaspoons of turmeric powder and mix in 250 ml of mustard oil and apply on the white patches of skin, twice a day, usually advised for a period of 12-15 months.
2. Application of Sweet Basil leaves extracts with lemon juice, advised for 5-6 months.
3. Tamarind seeds and Psorolia seeds (Bakuchi Seeds) are soaked in water used to clean rice for 7 days. It is then ground into a paste and applied on spots to give immediate results. It is very effective, however for some people it resulted in burning sensation and boils.
4. Fresh ginger juice with Bakuchi powder mix – Obese persons and with spots on high muscular areas.
5. Application of radish (white) seeds with vinegar, 50 gms of seeds with 15 ml of vinegar.
6. Diet for 40 days: 600 gm raw cucumber and 3 betel leaves three times a day and food made from bitter gourd.
7. Ginger Juice mixed with red Clay as external application over affected body parts.
8. Take 10 gm cow’s ghee, boil it on sim flame and add 10 pieces of pepper. After few minutes remove the pepper from the ghee and use the ghee along with daily food.Benefits: Blood gets purified, body immunity increases and skin related problems are removed.
9. Add 1 spoon honey to warm Goat’s milk and take early in the morning. Benefits: Good relief for skin pigmentation within 40 to 100 days.
10. Turmeric powder: 100 gm, Majeth powder: 100 gms, White mustard powder: 100 gms. Mix all powders, sieve in a fine cloth and store in a bottle.
Do you have any tips to share? Post your vitiligo home remedies below.
More about Vitiligo Treatment