Recent studies have shown that black pepper helps control the spread of Vitiligo in many patients. It also has been found that black pepper oil and extract are effective for many Vitiligo patients.
Botanically called Piper nigrum (uziza in Ibo), black pepper is of plant family Piperaceae. It is found that black pepper and its constituents like hot pepper, exhibit anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticancer activities.
Cyclooxygenase (COX) is an enzyme that is responsible for the formation of prostanoids, which are each involved in the inflammatory response. COX is implicated in the production of fever, inflammation, and pain.
Lipid peroxidation or oxidation of lipids is a crucial step in the pathogenesis of several disease states in adult and infant patients.
Nuclear factor kappa B (NF-KB) is an ubiquitous rapid response transcription factor in cells involved in imune and inflammatory reactions.
How Black Pepper can treat Vitiligo?
Piperine is the substance in black pepper that gives it its heat and many studies have been performed on the role of this compound. Black pepper may or may not cure vitiligo but it can be helpful in containing the disease.
Studies have shown that all compounds derived from black pepper suppressed TNF-induced NF-kappaB activation. Alkyl amides and compound 4 (found in Black Pepper) are the most effective. The human cancer cell proliferation inhibitory activities of piperine (found in black pepper) and compound 4 (again, found in Black Pepper) were dose-dependent.
These results show that black pepper and its constituents like hot pepper, are shown to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticancer activities.
Researchers in the UK found that a crude chloroform extract of black pepper containing piperine was more stimulatory than pure chloroform, suggesting the presence of other active components.
The researchers think that piperine may favor the production of skin cells called melanocytes.
Previous studies have shown that both the fruits and seeds can be used to cure dyspepsia, diarrhea, cholera, piles, urinary problems, boils, rheumatism and toothaches. Black pepper is also used to stabilize the womb in women after birth.
Benefits of Black Pepper in Vitiligo treatment
Black pepper is a dietary source of vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese. The spiciness of black pepper is due to its piperine content.
Piperine has been shown to significantly increase the bioavailability of selenium and beta-carotene, among other nutrients.
Black pepper and piperine have been shown to inhibit the development of carcinogen-induced colon and lung cancers in laboratory animals.
According to dermatologists, vitiligo occurs when melanocytes, the cells responsible for skin pigmentation, die or are unable to function. The cause of vitiligo is unknown, but research suggests that it may arise from autoimmune, genetic, oxidative stress, neural, or viral causes.
Worldwide, less than one percent of the population has vitiligo. The most common type is non-segmental vitiligo which tends to appear in organized patches all over the body.
Current vitiligo treatments include corticosteroids applied to the skin, and phototherapy using UV radiation (UVR) to re-pigment the skin.
However, many patients don’t respond well to corticosteroids. And UVR causes a re-pigmentation that is spotty and patchy in the long run, potentially leading to an increased risk of skin cancer.
This research is indeed a breath of fresh air for vitiligo patients and if it is proved that black pepper can actually cure or reduce the effects of vitiligo, it will be a groundbreaking achievement against this disease.
8 amazing health benefits of Black Pepper Oil
Black pepper oil is loaded with antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. These 10 benefits of black pepper oil may surprise you!
1. Reduces inflammation: Black pepper oil can help reduce inflammation throughout the body, including conditions like arthritis, asthma, and even cancer.
2. Boosts immunity: The antioxidants in black pepper oil help to boost the immune system, making it easier for your body to fight off infection and disease.
3. Boosts Circulation: The spicy compounds in black pepper oil can help boost circulation by dilating blood vessels and increasing blood flow.
4. Heals skin conditions: The antifungal and antibacterial properties of black pepper oil make it an effective treatment for various skin conditions like acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
5. Reduces pain: The analgesic properties of black pepper oil can help to relieve pain from headaches, muscle aches, and even menstrual cramps.
6. Improves digestion: Black pepper oil can help to improve digestion by stimulating the production of digestive juices and aiding in the absorption of nutrients.
7. Relieves stress: The calming effect of black pepper oil can help to relieve stress and anxiety. It can also promote better sleep when used before bedtime.
8. Fights cancer: Black pepper oil contains a compound called piperine that has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells in vitro (in a laboratory setting). More research is needed to confirm whether piperine has the same effect in humans but it is promising nonetheless
Other options for Vitiligo treatment
There are several other options for Vitiligo treatment. These include Ayurvedic treatment, natural remedies, Woods’ Lamp etc. Certain vitamins, and foods like black pepper, are also very helpful in Vitiligo treatment. As always, it is recommended to get a professional opinion before starting a treatment process.
More about Vitiligo Treatment